The estrogen boost during pregnancy can lead to various skin lesions. Some women may get a delicate, more vital complexion, firmer and smoother skin through the increased blood volume in the body. The fabric on the chest, stomach and legs stretches while the baby belly reduces in size. Read on, the next chapter to know more about stretch marks, which depends on the elasticity of your connective tissues and can be different for every woman.
Itching, dry skin and pimples may occur during pregnancy. This is due to the increased estrogen levels, which restricts the activity of sebaceous glands. Fragrance free lotion or creams can help to contribute moisture to the irritated skin. Taking baths with lavender, almond or adding jojoba oil in the water bath can also help against itching. If you suffer from dry skin, you may consider weekly facial masks from fresh fruits and vegetables. Lemon juice could be a remedy to treat pimples as its acidity kills bacteria and the essential oil tightens the tissue. Cleansing gels or PH-neutral, mild facial soap is optimal for cleaning the dry or impure skin. They contain substances that can help maintain the natural protective layer of the skin. Do consult your dermatologist if problems with your skin persist.
Unfortunately, stretch marks cannot be completely excluded. But the chances of getting rid of it will increase if you start prevention early.
Our advice for the prevention of stretch marks:
- Ensure that you supplement your body with sufficient liquid on a daily basis – this helps to regulate fluid balance.
- Eat a healthy diet: wholegrains, fresh fruits and vegetables, pasteurised or UHT treated dairy products, moderate amount of meat but plenty of fish.
- Proper skin care is essential to remain the elasticity of your skin. But do take note that the increased estrogen levels will cause some changes to your skin and it can be more sensitive to certain skin care ingredients from which you have used previously, before your pregnancy. Do consider lightweight moisturises or creamy oils that are mostly free from perfumes and preservatives.
- Sports promote blood circulation and keep the connective tissue taut. However, you should prevent any vigorous sports during your pregnancy.
The visible symptoms during pregnancy include stretch marks. They can occur in the subcutaneous tissue from the increased expansion of the tissue. These stretch marks occur more frequently in places such as the abdomen, hips, breasts and buttocks. The severity of the stretch marks is dependent on your personal disposition.
However, you can maintain the elasticity of your skin tissue and promote its blood circulation with a few simple steps. Simply apply the skin of the abdomen, thighs, breasts and buttocks with high-quality pregnancy care oil and massage the areas two to three times a day. Brush your skin with a massage glove one to two times per week with a body scrub to strengthen the skin. Start these measures right at the beginning of your pregnancy for ideal skin care.
Join our AptaAdvantage Club today to enjoy:
- Educational content to support you on your motherhood journey
- Various complimentary classes and exclusive discounts with our key enrichment partners
Kickstart your AptaAdvantage experience by signing up HERE.
Calculate your pregnancy week
What's your due date?
Calculate your due date
What's the first day of your last menstruation cycle?
What's the length of your menstruation cycle?
Calculate your due date
Your due date is8 april 2018
You are in week
Questions about feeding and nutrition?
Our midwives, nutritionists and feeding advisors are always on hand to talk about feeding your baby. So if you have a question, just get in touch.